Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 19 16:21:29 EST 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:45:22 -0800, Patty wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM,  <patty at cruzio.com> wrote:
>>
>> Now I think I understand a little better where you all are coming from
>> -- I am a Unix person and I guess I expected to have to learn GUI's
>> using whatever is provided for me by default. Which isn't a bad thing.
>> And if I had to add additional software - and learn that - so be it. I
>> am using a Windows XP system and a Windows 7 system presently. Some day
>> I would like to switch out the Windows XP for Unix.
>
> Just dual boot, it isn't hard.
>

> True.  I have a Compaq Presario that is so old hardware-wise that I
> don't think it could handle Unix or Linux.

I think you have that backwards. You can usually run recent Linux on
*much* older and cruftier hardware than will run recent Windows.

You may have to forgo using the two heavyweight window managers, Gnome
and KDE, in favour of a lightweight window manager, but some people would
argue that's a benefit rather than a loss :)

Here's an article that might be of interest:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT6185716632.html

--
Steven