Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

patty at cruzio.com patty at cruzio.com
Wed Jan 19 13:22:18 EST 2011

> On Jan 18, 9:54 pm, Adam Skutt <ask... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 18, 9:27 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1... at aim.com> wrote:
>> At which point, it's pretty damn
>> small.  Not as small as all of the Tk functionality, I think, but well
>> under 10MiB compressed.
>
> Yea but look at all your gaining. I would rather sacrifice a few megs
> for the rich functionality and scalability any day.
>

>> The problem to me isn't the size (though some might find it
>> objectionable), but the system dependencies you have to take:
>> wxWidgets requires GTK+ on UNIX
>
> UNIX? are you kidding? Even if these dependancies are needed the
> "UNIX" folks are damn capable of finding and installing them with
> great ease. Besides most ship with this out the box already! We are
> not talking about the lemmings who use windows or even the weekend
> linuxers here. If they are using UNIX then there is no need for "hand
> holding".
>
>> , which requires a whole mess of crap
>> in term, plus swig, plus whatever else I may or may not be missing.
>
> Thats quite an exaggeration Adam.
>
>> I'm also not 100% certain as to whether it's as portable as Tk is
>> today.
>
> Wx is just as portable as Tk
> --

Now I think I understand a little better where you all are coming from --
I am a Unix person and I guess I expected to have to learn GUI's using
whatever is provided for me by default. Which isn't a bad thing.   And if
I had to add additional software - and learn that - so be it.  I am using
a Windows XP system and a Windows 7 system presently.  Some day I would
like to switch out the Windows XP for Unix.

Thanks for the link to the Python page about the various packages, that
was enlightening.

Who or what group is actually in charge of what libraries (and programming
commands/methods such as the Python 3.x rewrite of 'print') goes into
Python?  Is this huge discussion really a few feature requests for
additional libraries to be included for Windows programming?  And aren't
some of these libraries developed by 3rd parties?  And how is that handled
by the people in charge?  Do they have to pay to license it or is this all
freely contributed software?

Patty