Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jan 19 12:10:07 EST 2011

On 2011-01-19, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: "Adam Skutt" <askutt at gmail.com>

>> If you want functional accessibility support, you're going to have to
>> write it in Python yourself, and get the accessibility manufacturers
>> to support it.  All of the cross-platform toolkits have poor to non-
>> existent accessibility support.  Accessibility issues aren't going to
>> be fixed by going to a different GUI toolkit in the standard library.
>

> Not true. WxPython uses wxWIDGETS which uses the default OS widgets

There's no such thing as "default OS widgets" on Linux/Unix/BSD/etc.

> which usually offer the accessibility features. (At least under
> Windows, but most users that need accessibility use Windows anyway).

[...]

> WxPython is not perfect but most of the objects it offers are
> accessible so this is not true. Only Tk and GTK are bad.

On all of my computers, wxPython uses Gtk.  There are other choices
for wxWidget backends on Linux, but Gtk is by far the most common.
IOW, if Gtk is bad, then wxPython is bad.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! People humiliating
                                  at               a salami!