Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:53:49 EST 2011

On Jan 19, 11:09 am, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: "Adam Skutt" <ask... at gmail.com>
> > Accessibility always requires special effort, and I don't see how
> > changing toolkits gets away from this.

> This is the most false thing I ever heard and the most dangerous.

O RLY?  http://www.wxwidgets.org/docs/technote/wxaccesstips.htm sure
looks like there's a whole host of things that I, the application
programmer, must do manually to enable an accessible application[1].
I can't just plop down controls and have an accessible application.

> The programmer doesn't even know that the application will also offer accessibility features.

No, accessibility requires consideration in the design and
implementation of the GUIs, in all of those toolkits.  It is not
transparent, nor can it be transparent.  It requires both
consideration when laying out the widgets, but also ensuring that the
widgets have specific properties set.  How many applications have you
ever used that had focus order bugs?  That's an accessibility issue
that requires programmer intervention to get right.

Adam

[1] That list is not comprehensive by a long shot.