Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 01:29:49 EST 2011

From: "Corey Richardson" <kb1pkl at aim.com>
> On 01/18/2011 11:15 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>> On Jan 18, 10:10 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1... at aim.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That is a pretty large dependency to rely on, and it is rather
>>> undesirable IMO.
>>
>> And what exactly is undesirable? Unless you actually back up your
>> statements with fact they just ring hallow. Can you offer any specific
>> reasons why wx is a bad choice. And more importantly can you offer any
>> viable alternatives?
>
> Go ahead and read Adam's fine post about the dependencies of wxwidgets.
> As for alternatives? I think Tkinter is fine for most of my purposes.
> When I need something else, I use PyQt. I can install python-minimal on
> Windows/Linux/What-have-you and know that Tkinter will run without
> needing GTK+ and SWIG, as Adam mentioned. If you want to get something
> done, here's an idea - do it yourself. That's what OS is all about.
> Don't just write something, implement it. If the folks over in
> python-dev want nothing to do with it, that's fine - make a package
> using your minimal wxpython version, I'm sure people will use it,
> especially if you make it as easy to use as Tkinter.

I don't think this is what we are talking about on this thread.
If any Python programmer wants to use WxPython because it is better than
Tkinter, then he/she can use it without any problem.

I think we are talking about the GUI lib included in Python, the GUI which
is promoted by Python.
This GUI should be one which is better from the users' perspective, which is
accessible for as many users as possible because the GUI that's promoted by
Python is very important for the beginners.

If you or someone else wants to create a stripped-down application which
doesn't offer so many features then it wouldn't be any problem to get
Tkinter and use it, but the beginners shouldn't learn first to use a GUI lib
like Tkinter.

Octavian