Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:16:54 EST 2011

On Jan 18, 7:59 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1... at aim.com> wrote:
> On 01/18/2011 08:41 PM, rantingrick wrote:

> >From that, it appears we need to:
>
> 1. Replace Tkinter with something more modern and feature-complete, but
> just as easy to use.
> 2. Add a web framework/web-GUI

That would be a HUGE step in the correct direction. It would not solve
all our problems however its a start. Like i mentioned earlier with
Tkinter it is fact that sooner or later you will come up against the
glass ceiling. At that point your only alternative is to toss away
everything you have learned/written and re-learn another GUI library
like wxPython. This is what bothers me most about Tkinter. It just
sums to wasted time and energy. If we had a simplistic wxGUI in the
stdlib, when you hit the ceiling and need to go further you could then
scale nicely to the feature richness of wxPython as a 3rd party
download -- WITHOUT relearning/rewriting everything!

> Given the above, what do you guys (python-list, not just rantingrick)
> think fills the spot the best?

Well i hope some heavy weights weigh in however i must tell you that
it don't happen very often.