Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Tue Jan 18 20:19:17 EST 2011

On 01/18/2011 07:53 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jan 18, 6:23 pm, Adam Skutt <ask... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Adam, it is now evident that your view of the world is, at best, a
> superficial one. You are shallow and incapable of any coherent
> abstract reasoning abilities. I genuinely hope this is due to some
> emotional distress you are suffering and not a chronic condition,
> because if not, you need to give some deep mediative thoughts to how
> you are perceiving the world around you to heal your mind of this
> improper processing. Being argumentative just for the sake of being
> argumentative is a never ending cycle of foolishness. Now, at some
> point earlier you had begin to display some coherency and insights. I
> sure hope that behavior will return soon..?

Because insulting others is completely how things get done. As to the
button/hyperlink, they may both share some common functionality and even
a common ancestor, they are different beings, otherwise they wouldn't be
two separate things. It may even be that a hyperlink is a type of
button, but that doesn't make a button a hyperlink. (Plant/tree,
rectangle/square type deal).

I for one am quite pleased with Tkinter up to this point. It allowed me
to come in with extremely minimal GUI experience, and make something
that worked with minimal effort. It was simple to understand, no
concepts of slots and signals to learn. A project I'm working on
requires PyQt, so I use PyQt. Is the fact that it's not in the stdlib a
detriment? No. I think Tkinter _should_ be in the stdlib because it's
simple. If something else were to take it's place I would hope that it
is as easy to learn/use as Tkinter is.

But I think this whole thread has gotten off topic. Why should Tkinter
be replaced? Why was it added there in the first place? What should
replace it, and why? Instead of arguing about little piddly details like
the difference between a button and a hyperlink, just stick to the task
at hand that you yourself presented.

My two cents,
~Corey