move to end, in Python 3.2 Really?

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:16:58 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:33, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 18, 11:56 am, Antoine Pitrou <solip... at pitrou.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:10:48 -0800 (PST)
> >
> > rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Well don't get wrong i want to join in --not that i have all the
> > > solutions--
> >
> > Take a look athttp://docs.python.org/devguide/#contributing
>
> Thanks for this link Antoine however i think you missed the point of
> my post. What i would like to see is an forum where the "noob" to
> "average" python programmer can voice his/her opinion about the
> current state or future state of Pythons syntax, stdlib, goals and
> dreams, etc, al the while not fearing attack from all sides. Currently
> such a place is non-existent. I believe many folks would get involved
> if this "place" existed however it does not exist.

I'm unaware of "attack from all sides" on python-dev, but the standards are
high, as they should be. The discussion is open to everyone, but it's not
generally about opinions, goals, dreams, etc. -- it's mostly about getting
work done.

python-ideas might be a list that would work for what you are looking for.
It's a list of possible ideas to implement in Python. Some are half-baked
ideas needing community help and input, some are fully thought out
implementations asking if the community thinks it's worthy of inclusion.

I'm not sure why this list, python-list, isn't a good venue for any of that.
A lot of the people who follow python-dev also follow this list, e.g.,
Raymond and Antoine who already commented on this.

I also believe that
> these same folks have no interest in "debating" in the highly
> competitive environmental of python-dev, python-ideas. Heck, even
> c.l.py is far too competitive! They just basically want a forum were
> they can come in and give their two cents and leave.

Sorry, it's not that easy, for good reason. We're talking about a
programming language that has been around for quite a while, is used in many
places for many reasons by many people, and the numbers surrounding just
about every category are always rising. We're also talking about a group of
volunteers who spend their time working on Python. Drive-by commenting
likely serves little purpose other than noise.

If you want to bring something up, by all means bring it up, but you will
probably have to fight for it. We can't just have everyone throw two cent
suggestions in a hat and move along.