Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 03:58:01 EST 2011

From: "Alexander Kapps" <alex.kapps at web.de>
> On 17.01.2011 21:04, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>> I say probably not considering the availability of 3rd party
>> downloads. What say you, Python community?
>
> Available as 3rd party downloads:
>
> XML,HTML,...
> HTTP,FTP,SMTP,POP,IMAP/...
> MD5,SHA,...
> zip,bzip,...
>
> and so on and so on and so on.
>
> Remove them all just because they are available as 3rd party downloads?

No, they should not be removed because they don't cause any damage, very bad
damage as Tkinter does.

> The "Batteries included" of Python is just *great* and I vote for *more*
> not less batteries!

Well, in that case, why don't you agree to also include WxPython in the
Python package?

>> And one more thing. Not all the Python programmers create desktop apps so
>> a GUI lib is useless. Some of them use Python only for web programming or
>> only for system administration.
>
> Not all Python programmers do web programming, so please remove the
> useless HTML junk too.

Why do you call it "html junk"?

> Almost every beginner wants to do GUIs or at least some graphic stuff.
> Removing the GUI module from the stdlib would be plain wrong IMHO. But I
> don't understand the whole issue anyway. It isn't that you need to fire up
> your torrent client and wait 48 hours for the Python download to complete.
> Why remove useful (to many, not most) stuff from the lib?

Yes it can be useful for some people, but why promote it instead of
promoting a better library for beginners?

Octavian