Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 00:28:43 EST 2011

I have proposed this before and i shall propose it again. Most of the
naysayers parrot off about how many people use Tkinter. Maybe they are
right, and maybe they are wrong. Nobody, and i repeat NOBODY even GvR
himself can offer reliable evidence as to how important moduleX *is*
or *is not* to this community... However i can!

I propose a truly democratic method by which we can gather REAL data
about what is important, and what is not important to the average
Python programmer. I am not suggesting that this data be an official
vote. I am only suggesting that those who walk the halls of
"privilege" should listen carefully to the peasants when making
decisions that affect the peasants.

To make a long story short my proposal is to send out a warning in the
next official release of Python. The warning will be as follows...

"""
-------------------------------
 ModuleRemovalWarning: Tkinter
The GUI module "Tkinter" is being considered for removal from the
Python stdlib FOREVER. If you use Tkinter and wish for it to stay in
the stdlib you need to visit "www.savetkinter.com" and cast your vote
now. The voting will end on dd/mm/yyyy so make sure to cast your vote
or don't be complaining
about it later. Note: Simon Cowell WILL NOT be making a celebrity
appearance!
"""

If i need to create a PEP i will.