Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 23:24:30 EST 2011

On Jan 18, 4:13 am, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 4:47 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
>
> > On 1/16/2011 11:20 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>
> > > Ok, try this...
>
> > >      http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/screenshots/index.php
> > >      http://www.sensi.org/~ak/pyslsk/pyslsk6.png
> > >      http://www.wxwidgets.org/about/screensh.htm
>
> > Ok, wxwidgets can look at least as good as tk. Agreed that wxpython
> > might instead link to the excellent wxwidgets page.
>
> > --
> > Terry Jan Reedy
>
> Thanks for being honest. We need more people acting in this manner and
> just think of the progress we could make, it would wonderful!
>
> You know we Python programmers are professional debaters. This has
> been my take on the Python community. However without the virtues of
> compromise and community spirit all we are going to do is fight like
> cats and dogs forever to the very detriment of the very community we
> wish to muster
>
>  We need to look at these problems from a community perspective and
> tone down the rhetoric. The layer of thick sarcasm that exists is so
> viscous and putrid that any semblance of civility is completely
> impervious to it's gelatinous all encompassing mass. We need to get
> more folks involved in the decision process. We need more community
> discussion and less community corruption. Currently we have a small
> subset of the community making a large proportion of the decisions. We
> did have a monarchy ruled by our beloved dictator however it has
> degenerated into a banana republic! We need democracy and we need it
> now!

Lehman Beladys entropy law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehman%27s_laws_of_software_evolution
says

The quality of ... systems will  decline unless they are rigorously
maintained and adapted to operational environment changes.

Just look at emacs --once upon a time the best editor for alpha geeks,
today unable to get rid of 40 years of cruft.

Guido's 'benevolent dictatorship' has so far kept python the exception
because
- he give powerful batteries to start with
- does not introduce junk
- is not afraid of backward incompatibility for the sake of clarity
and cleanliness (python3)

Gui (and web) frameworks are two of his more visible failures