Should there be a 'core' python install? (was Re: Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!)

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Mon Jan 17 15:09:44 EST 2011

On 01/17/11 19:39, rantingrick wrote:
<cut<
> Q: If you could replace Tkinter with any module/library (THAT IS NOT A
> GUI OR IDE!!) what would you like to see fill its place?
<cut>

Some systems, like FreeBSD have Tkinter and IDLE as a separate package
which is not installed by default. Purely because those systems don't
assume that the user has X installed.

Though since this is a windows world, that argument is rather mood.
But then again the win32 extension modules aren't installed by default,
rather inconsistent in that perspective.

You could argue that there is some advantage especially for starters,
having at least something to start on (IDLE), but on the other hand
there are already a couple of special 'distribution packages' that aim
to include anything remotely python related.

I think that the ones that should make these decisions (if any) are
those how spend _their_ time integrating the dependencies and making the
builds for public download.

Perhaps for pythons 3 lifetime there should still be a 'python'
maintained tkinter integration. But I don't see any reason why this
should be continued for 4, fortunately it is not my call and I actually
quite like Tkinter.

--
mph