Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:04:57 EST 2011

From: "rantingrick" <rantingrick at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

On Jan 17, 12:27 pm, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> And Python should also not include any editor because for
> some programmers it is absolutely useless anyway. The
> editor can be installed separately very easy and the
> programmers can choose the editor they like.   The problem
> is not that WxPython is not encouraged, but that Tkinter
> is encouraged because it is promoted.

These are very true statements Octavian! I had always believed that
Python should include a GUI AND and IDE even though Tkinter and IDLE
are severely dated. Now i am thinking that maybe we should judt dump
both and leave it that way.

Why did i previously think this way? Well my concern was to keep the
goals of GvR alive. That is that programming should be for everyone
and having a simplistic IDE and GUI in the stdlib help foster these
goals. However that was circa 1980's and we now find our selfs a
decade past the 21st century. We now have a huge amount of 3rd party
GUI's and IDE's. Do we even need to include them any more? Sure one
could always argue batteries included however with the plethera of 3rd
party downloads, the batteries may not be included, but they are
located witin reach at the reqister check out

Q. Do we need ANY GUI or ANY IDE in the stdlib anymore?

I say probably not considering the availability of 3rd party
downloads. What say you, Python community?

And one more thing. Not all the Python programmers create desktop apps so a GUI lib is useless. Some of them use Python only for web programming or only for system administration.

Octavian