Tkinter: Joking?

Steven Howe howe.steven at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 03:30:28 EST 2011

On 01/16/2011 10:46 PM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> [...]
If you are making a product, you want it to be unique and inaccessible
to other companies/products. Hence 'propriety'. It's part of that
'capture the market' mindset that engineers and programmers have a
problem with. Fight or flight, you have to deal with it.

So ...

Target your market. Design your software in the Model-View-Controller
format. It becomes easy to configure you frontend, your GUI, your web
page, if your code is written to separate the work from the glitz.

Car companies know this. There is the body design crew, and the
engineers that make it work. So software products too. Artists always
come first; with good reason, their work catches the eye; remember what
Dr. Lecter said "Don't your eyes seek out what you want Clares?".
Fighting that fact, for 'efficiency' is just tilting at windmills (or
Pontiac Aztec).

Instead, think 'optimal' i.e. maximum usage per market. MVC makes that
approach reasonable in the first market. Easy in the second (Apple),
third (Linux) and fourth (BSD).

In the mean time, quit bad mouthing works like Tk/Tcl that have come
before the current crop. Their successors too shall pass.

Oh, and if your interested, I'm in the third market, been here since
1992. Time and Tide Microsoft, Apple. Time and tide.

Steven