Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sun Jan 16 18:41:17 EST 2011

On 1/16/11 2:44 PM, rantingrick wrote:

> Ok so you're complaining about a "Mac specific" missing functionality?

Um, yes.

> Ok, even if it looks "out of place" this is another "Mac Specific"
> problem.

Yes, it sure does. "Mac-specific"=="important."

>> 3. wxPython applications do not make use of common window flags on the
>> Mac, such as sheets and drawers. Tk provides native support for some of
>> this, and extension packages provide further support.
>
> "Mac Specific"

Ditto.

> I think the moral of this story is simple. Mac decided to implement an
> OS that is completely different from the others. Also as you well know
> Macs are at the bottom of the stack in terms of popularity. Windows,
> Unix, Linix, Mac, in that order. Sure you "may" have the most
> pretentious OS on the planet. However you must accept that with a
> small user community also comes an equally small developer community.
> And even if i give these "minor complaints" 100% merit you still only
> have 0.25% of the market you are representing, so you lose the
> argument in a big way. Your complaints are but a drop in the
> proverbial bucket. But don't fret my friend with wxPython in the
> stdlib i'll bet you could persuade or even help to bring Mac support
> for these "small" annoyances.

Rick, your statements here are entirely untroubled by facts.:-) First of
all, Mac OS X *is* Unix, at least according to The Open Group, which
controls the UNIX trademark and is actually in charge of certifying an
OS as valid UNIX.  Next, in terms of market share, Apple's machines
exceeded 10% of the U.S. market (placing them third in shipments behind
HP and Dell), and run about 4-5% of the market globally. (See
http://bit.ly/cqxl6L.) In any event, it's a bit more than 0.25%.
(Actually, according to http://bit.ly/c4PBlm, Linux comes in at around
0.77%, while Mac OS X comes int around 5%.)

> Well this is something that you need to attack at the source Kevin.
> Specifically i mean for you to join the WxWidgets group and start a
> grassroots movement for better mac support. Barking about a few small
> "annoyances" with an OS that has a "last ranked" standing is a bit
> bombastic to say the least. Yes?

I have commit rights to the Tk core, so it's much easier for me to
submit bug fixes and patches there. It's not worth my while to do the
same for wxWidgets.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer