Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Jan 16 18:04:35 EST 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 07:18:16 -0800, Adam Skutt wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid I found most of your post hard to interpret, because you
didn't give sufficient context for me to understand it. You refer to "his
proposed widget set", but with no clue as to who he is, or what the
widget set is, or what essential widgets you continue missing. I can
guess "he" is rantingrick, but am not sure -- there's only so much of his
time-wasting I can read before reaching for the killfile. Rantingrick
believes he is doing us a service by haranguing us incessantly into
scratching *his* poorly thought-out itches, regardless of practicality or
actual need.

But putting that aside, I'd like to comment on a few points:

[...]
> If the situation isn't
> the same on your computer then your application usage is highly unusual
> or you don't understand what widgets are used to construct your
> applications.  You've just told me that Python would no longer be
> suitable for constructing the majority of GUI applications on the
> planet.

No, that does not follow. Unless "he" (I'll assume it is rantingrick) has
proposed hunting down and destroying all third-party GUI tool sets, what
you've been told is that *one specific* tool set is unsuitable for
constructing the majority of GUI apps.

[...]
> Really, if you believe the case to be otherwise, I truly believe you
> aren't paying attention to your own computer(s), or don't understand how
> the applications you use are constructed.  What's out there isn't
> interesting, it's what people use that's interesting, and people tend to
> use GUIs that are moderately to highly complicated.

Well, true, but people tend to *use* the parts of the GUIs that are
simple and basic. Not only do the big complicated apps get all the press
even when they are actually a niche product (everyone knows about
Photoshop, but more people use MS Paint) but it's a truism that most
people use something like 20% of the functionality of big, complicated
GUI apps. Most people use Microsoft Word or OpenOffice for little more
than text editing with formatting.

It's easy for power users to overestimate how much of their complicated
GUIs are actually used by the average user. Or even the *above* average
user.

I suspect that a variation of Zipf's Law probably holds for GUI
complexity -- if you rank the widgets in order of most to least commonly
used, I expect that you'll see actual use drop away rapidly and at an
accelerated rate. E.g. the widget in second place might be used roughly
half as often as the widget in first place place, the widget in third
place one third as often, the widget in fourth place one quarter as
often, and so forth.

--
Steven