After C++, what with Python?

Tim Harig usernet at ilthio.net
Sun Jan 16 03:25:13 EST 2011

On 2011-01-16, John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:
> On 1/15/2011 10:48 PM, Aman wrote:
>> @nagle Means you are suggesting me not to proceed with Python because I've had experience with C++?
>
>    No, Python is quite useful, but on the slow side.  If you're I/O
> bound, not time critical, or otherwise not performance constrained,
> it's quite useful.  The language is really quite good, but there's
> some excessive dynamism which has caused every attempt at an optimizing
> implementation to fail.

Those who are concerned about performance should check out Go.
Garbage collection, duck typing, and compiles to a native binary.
It creates a great middle ground between C++ and Python.  Any C and/or
Python programmer will feel right at home with the language.  It is
still a young language; but, I have been using it for some useful things.

http://golang.org