Developing a program to make a family tree.

Michael Hunter tahoemph at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 16:43:18 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Ata Jafari <a.j.romanista at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
> I'm trying to develop a program like family tree maker. I have all
> information, so there is no need to search on the net. This must be
> something like trees. Can someone help me? I'm at the beginning.
> Thanks.

I think you are probably coming at this from the wrong direction.
Either you want to solve your family tree problem in the easiest way
possible in which case there are already packages available or you
want to develop this because you want to do the project to learn
(more) python, etc.  Assuming the later the fact you have to ask the
question in the way you did means you are short on software design
experience and don't know much about the problem domain (genealogy).
Additionally you probably havn't written much code although you came
here so you probably have a little experience.  That is triple death.
You need to hold a couple of those variables stable.  I'd suggest
finding a existing open source genealogy program and use bug fixing as
a way to learn basics about the package and then try to add a feature
as a way of learning something about software design.

               Michael