Developing a program to make a family tree.

Jon Clements joncle at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 14 14:57:52 EST 2011

On Jan 14, 7:39 pm, Ata Jafari <a.j.romani... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
> I'm trying to develop a program like family tree maker. I have all
> information, so there is no need to search on the net. This must be
> something like trees. Can someone help me? I'm at the beginning.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Ata J. Tabrizi
> atae.tabr... at metu.edu.tr

If you're after mature and actively developed Genealogy software
developed in Python, then check out http://gramps-project.org/
The developer list is very friendly.

Otherwise, you're in for a struggle, as you need to choose a storage
back-end, a GUI (wxWindows/GTK/Qt4 etc...), how to handle GEDCOM
format (unless it's not going to be compatible with other software),
does it need to produce web pages/reports (and in what formats).

I strongly suggest looking at GRAMPS and see what you're setting
yourself up for :)

hth

Jon