Print to an IPP printer (pkipplib?)

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jan 10 13:40:54 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 10:37 -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 10/16/2010 10:49 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > I've found the module pkipplib which seems to work well for things like
> > interrogating an IPP (CUPS) server.  But is there a way to send a print
> > job to an IPP print queue? [and no, the local system knows nothing about
> > the print architecture so popen....lp is not an option].  I just want to
> > send the data from a file handle to a remote IPP queue as a print job.
> I wonder if you could post the print job directly to the IPP url.  It's
> really just HTTP under the hood.

Correct; I've been meaning to try that but haven't gotten back to it on
my to-do list.

First I have to make a text stream into a PDF, so I have something to
send. Surprisingly I've been able to find no code to steal which does
that; which means it will take longer. :(  [clumsily thunking out to
commands like "a2ps", etc... is strictly forbidden in this code-base;
and that seems how a lot of people seem to hand it].