Trying to decide between PHP and Python

Alan Meyer ameyer2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 16:42:19 EST 2011

On 1/5/2011 10:30 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

>   1) How often is a compiler for language X written?
>
>   2) How often is source code written in language X?
>
>   3) How often is that source code in language X read/modified?
>
> If you compare those numbers you'll realize that optimizing for case 1
> at the expense of cases 2&  3 is just plain stupid.

Today?  Sure.

But let's remember the context.  LISP was created in 1958 at a time when
the only other high level language (if the Wikipedia is right) was
Fortran.  Writing a practical interpreter or compiler to run on a 16 or
32 K word memory machine, using punched cards and maybe mag tape, and
probably starting in assembly language, was a pretty daunting task.  It
required gobs of intelligence and not a little fortitude.

So instead of calling it "plain stupid" I'd be more comfortable saying
that it is "no longer the best design choice for modern computers."

     Alan