Trying to decide between PHP and Python

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Wed Jan 5 10:21:05 EST 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, flebber wrote:

> My two cents, I am understanding python far better by learning scheme.
> Didn't intentionally set out to achieve that as a goal just a by
> product. An excelent resource http://htdp.org and using the racket
> scheme ide(as much of an ide as idle), simple thorough well explained
> concepts via worked examples and a very encouraging and enthusiastic
> mail group, much like this list.
>
> I would so love a book like that for python but after i complete htdp
> I may not need it.

Agreed. I freezed my Racket usage while it was called DrScheme but I keep
my eye on it ever since. It is really nice and well designed environment.
It took me by a storm, which I cannot say about Idle ;-) .

I also agree that every Python programmer could gain something valuable by
at least trying it, as well as reading their docs and mailing list for a
while. Or every programmer regardless of his/her current language.

HTDP is interesting book, pity I couldn't read it when it might have made
a bigger difference to my development.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola