opinion: comp lang docs style

Alice Bevan–McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Wed Jan 5 02:23:31 EST 2011

On 2011-01-04 22:29:31 -0800, Steven D'Aprano said:

> In any case, your assumption that any one documentation work should stand
> on its own merits is nonsense -- *nothing* stands alone.

+1

How many RFCs still in use today don't start with:

> The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
> "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
> document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119

I posted a response on the article itself, rather than pollute a
mailing list with replies to a troll.  The name calling was a rather
large hint as to the intention of the "opinion", either that or whoever
translated the article (man or machine) was really angry at the time.
;)

	- Alice.