Interrput a thread

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 18:17:13 EST 2011

On Jan 3, 5:24 pm, Jean-Paul Calderone <calderone.jeanp... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Of course.  The whole point here is not about threads vs processes.
> It's about shared memory concurrency vs non-shared memory
> concurrency.  You can implement both with threads and both with
> processes, but threads are geared towards shared memory and processes
> are geared towards non-shared memory.  So what most people mean by
> "use processes" is "don't use shared memory".

This is entirely my presumption, but I think if the OP were keenly
aware of the differences between thread and processes, it's pretty
likely he wouldn't have asked his question in the first place.

Also, I've written lots and lots of "use processes" code on multiple
platforms, and much of it has used some sort of shared memory
construct.  It's actually pretty common, especially in code bases with
a lot of history.  Not all the world is Apache.

Adam