Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sun Jan 2 14:49:36 EST 2011

On 01/01/2011 06:39 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jan 1, 5:39 pm, CM<cmpyt... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> And I don't see this as a problem anyway.  I wanted to do GUI
>> programming in Python, so I read a bit, chose wxPython, downloaded it,
>> and started learning it.  Done.
>
> I, I, I...Me,Me,Me.
>
> Seems you are only concerned about yourself CM. However this a
> community discussion. You must put your wants and needs in the
> backseat before you can see what is best for the Python community as a
> whole.

Pot? Meet Kettle...

Given that the community response has largely been an
overwhelming "meh, show me some code" rather than an "I
whole-heartedly agree with rantingrick", your use of "we" in your
emails sounds more like a "royal we"[1] than a community-based
concern.

"best for the Python community" seems to be something that
doesn't break backwards compat. with existing code-bases, works
across a multitude of platforms, has a minimal install footprint,
and a proven track-record of meeting those needs.  Tkinter and wx
both seem to satisfy most of those requirements, except that wx
seems to have a larger footprint and not have been
production-ready at the time a decision needed to be made for
inclusion of a gui-library in Python.  (I also don't know if
there are licensing concerns with wx vs. tk and their interplay
with the Python license).

-tkc

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_we