CPython on the Web

azakai alonmozilla at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 14:19:56 EST 2011

On Jan 2, 5:42 am, pyt... at bdurham.com wrote:

> 1. Are there plans to support IE 7 or 8?

I think it might run slowly there, but otherwise sure, it should run -
the code is intended to be valid JavaScript (if it isn't, that's a
bug). Currently though a minor issue prevents it from running on IE, I
have been told (I don't have a Windows machine to test on myself),
http://code.google.com/p/emscripten/issues/detail?id=22

> 2. I'm not sure what you mean by non-static modules? Can we use modules
> such as json, pickle/cPickle, StringIO/cStringIO?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. There isn't support for
dlopen(), which opens dynamically linked libraries. That means that
you can import libraries like sys, which are already linked into
python. But loading a module that exists as a separate file won't work
yet (but hopefully soon).

> 3. Is there a virtual file system we can take advantage of so calls to
> open() would work?

No, not yet, the libc implementation used just has stubs for input/
output stuff so far. Work in progress ;)

- azakai