Portable Python challenge - round 1

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 1 17:07:42 EST 2011

On 1/1/2011 3:59 PM, Perica Zivkovic wrote:

> when those versions of Portable Python were published, they were the
> latest available versions of Python.

2.6.1: December 2008; 3.0.1: February 2009

> Unfortunately I did not had time
> to update them since the last release.

If you have not done any updates in about 20 months, why are you paying
people (with a sweepstakes ticket) for name and email?

And why put your effort into this instead of producing a much better
Python3 release? In spite of efforts otherwise, 3.0 (December 2008) had
some typical .0 problems. It was quickly (in 2 months) patched a bit and
them abandoned, with 3.1 release soon after (June 2009, without a 3.1.2,
as would have been usual) with the recommendation that everyone replace
3.0 with 3.1. Hence my opinion that promoting 3.0(.1) 18 months later is
a disservice. Anyone who tries it might get an incorrect bad impression
and will certainly not get the benefit of subsequent improvements.

--
Terry Jan Reedy