Finding the right Python executable on Windows

Geoff Bache geoff.bache at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 05:25:53 EST 2011

Hi all,

I have a Python process on Windows and would like to start a Python
subprocess using the same interpreter. I wonder how to go about this?

First, I tried the obvious

subprocess.Popen([ sys.executable, "subproc.py", ... ])

but that fails, because my process has a "native launcher", (i.e. C:
\path\mylauncher.exe, which is just a wrapper around the Python
program) and hence sys.executable returns this path instead of the
interpreter location. It isn't appropriate to use the launcher for the
subprocess.

I also tried using sys.exec_prefix but there didn't seem to be any
standard location for the interpreter under this directory in any
case.

I feel certain there must be some way to do this as it seems a rather
basic thing somehow, can anyone give me a hint?

Regards,
Geoff Bache