how to tell if cursor is sqlite.Cursor or psycopg2.Cursor

dmaziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 24 14:44:55 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I've wrapper class around some sql statements and I'm trying to add a
method that does:
  if my_cursor is a sqlite cursor, then run "select
last_insert_rowid()"
  else if it's a psycopg2 cursor, then run "select
currval( 'my_sequence' )"
  etc.
The best I can come up with is import both psycopg2 and sqlite and
then do
 if isinstance( self._curs, sqlite.Cursor ) : ...
 elif isinstance( self._curs, psycopg2._psycopg.cursor ) : ...
and I can't help thinking there has to be another way to find out what
kind of thing self._curs is. Is there a better way?

TIA
Dima