Need GUI pop-up to edit a (unicode ?) string

Rikishi42 skunkworks at rikishi42.net
Sat Jan 22 15:22:27 EST 2011

I'm in need for a graphical pop-up that will display a (unicode ?) string in
a field, allow the user to change it and return the modified string.

Maybe also keep the original one displayed above it.

Something like this:
|   Please confirm or edit the following string   |
|                                                 |
|     Original_example_string                     |
|                                                 |
|  +-------------------------------------------+  |
|  |  Original_about_to_be_changed             |  |
|  +-------------------------------------------+  |
|                                                 |
|                     OK                          |
|                                                 |

I've never used any kind of graphical interface programing before, so I
don't have a clue where to start.
This would, however, be the *only* GUI part in the app at this point.

>From what I can see the solution lays with PyQT, but the docs I find are
courses that aim to teach the whole GUI tool. I only need a little pop-up to
alow a user to edit part of a filename, for instance.

I'm using Python 2.6.x on various Linux platforms (mainly openSUSE and Mint)
and on Windows. Windows support is not important, in this case.

--
When in doubt, use brute force.
                -- Ken Thompson