Problems with FTP

RizlaJ razajaffrey77 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 08:38:09 EST 2011

Hi all, I'm very new to python. I'm using Python 2.7, in a corporate
environment, therefore am behind a proxy server, firewalls etc.

I can ftp to a barclays capital ftp site ok in internet explorer, but
I can't get the FTP from ftplib to work for me. Can someone please
help!

I've tried the following commands from my home personal machine
(thefore no proxies etc) and the commands work fine and I'm able to
enter my username and password and login successfuly - however in teh
corporate environment I can't. I'm wondering if this is soemthing to
do with security permissioning at work etc?

At the shell I'm typing:-
>>> from ftplib import FTP
>>> ftp = FTP('indexftp.barcap.com')

and get the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#19>", line 1, in <module>
    ftp = FTP('indexftp.barcap.com')
  File "C:\Python27\lib\ftplib.py", line 117, in __init__
    self.connect(host)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\ftplib.py", line 132, in connect
    self.sock = socket.create_connection((self.host, self.port),
self.timeout)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
    raise err
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected
party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established
connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

I wasn't expecting this error message next, i was expecting to be able
to log on using the followign command :-

>> ftp.login("username","password")

Please help!

thanks!