default argument in method

DevPlayer devplayer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 01:43:46 EST 2011

I agree with you Steven that the OP should avoid __getattribute__ and
the like for many a thing. I also agree with your last statement. I
try to answer the OP's question without much "You shouldn't do this's
and don't do that's". I trust them to make thier own decisions. I'd
say "A much better solution..." is the way I like to say it.

The last solution you offered I find I use more often now as I like to
set my function with default values for which I call set-and-forget
function parms/args where using None is what allows my functions to
know what is changing (or not).
# for example
def logger(parm1, parm2=None):
    if not hasattr(myfunc.parm2_default):
        if parm2:
            myfunc.parm2_default = parm2
        else:
            myfunc.parm2_default = CONSOLE
    if not parm2:
        parmTwo = myfunc.parm2_default
    else:
        parmTwo = parm2

    # do something
    print(parmTwo)

log = logger(gui_frame, GUI)  # an inaccurate example