How to compile on OS X PPC? was: Re: [RELEASED] Python 3.2

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:27:14 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Irmen de Jong <irmen at -nospam-xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 22-02-11 19:57, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
>
>> Have you tried compiling it with Macports? The port file is too much
>> of a mess for me to figure out exactly what is getting called in what
>> circumstances, but whatever they're doing probably works.
>
> I have not, and I don't intend to. I figure Python.org's build is not a
> macports one, and that it would be enough to have installed the Apple
> developer tools (Xcode + toolchain) and use that to build straight from the
> tarball. Have been doing that for ages, actually. I don't think I tried
> compiling a --enable-framework build before though, because that seems to be
> the only thing that's failing now.
>
> Btw: just tried to compile Python 2.7.1 with --enable-framework, it compiled
> without error on the powerpc mac.
>

> regards
>
> Irmen de Jong
> --

There really isn't a "Macports build". Macports just downloads the
source tarball and compiles it locally. It's only doing three things
compared to compiling it yourself: update checking, dependency
tracking, and applying some patches for problems that haven't been
addressed upstream yet. One of the patches they have for Python 3.2
fixes something in the Makefile and it appears to have something to do
with the stuff being passed to libtool. Not sure if it's addresses
your problem or not, but it couldn't hurt to try it.
.
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/lang/python32/files/patch-Makefile.pre.in.diff