An amazing one-minute bit of fun at the interactive prompt

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 20 16:32:45 EST 2011

Anssi Saari <as at sci.fi> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > It [appeared correctly] in my reader. Perhaps your server has
> > encoding trouble?
>
> He (or rather Google) used iso-8859-7 as a character set, which is the
> Latin/Greek alphabet and definitely has pi at 0xF0. Not exactly a
> common character set though. Running a iso-8859-1 font in a terminal
> means I see a ? instead of pi...

Another good reason to eschew legacy encodings and use a Unicode
character encoding for all internet messages, like the extremely common
UTF-8. Get to it, Raymond! :-)

--
 \      “I knew things were changing when my Fraternity Brothers threw |
  `\           a guy out of the house for mocking me because I'm gay.” |