Problems of Symbol Congestion in Computer Languages

Nicholas Devenish misnomer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 06:10:01 EST 2011

On 18/02/2011 10:26, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Agreed. I'd like Python to support proper mathematical symbols like ∞ for
> float('inf'), ≠ for not-equal, ≤ for greater-than-or-equal, and ≥ for
> less-than-or-equal.

This would be joyful! At least with the subset of operations that
already exist/exist as operators, the possibility of using these
wouldn't affect anyone not using them (like the set/intersection
notation mentioned in another post).

I'm not very optimistic about anything like this ever being accepted
into python main, however (I can't imagine it being terribly complicated
to add to the accepted language, though).