How to use Python well?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Feb 18 19:39:17 EST 2011

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:

> In article <slrnilu2e0.15e.grahn+nntp at frailea.sa.invalid>,
>  Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-02-17, Roy Smith wrote:
> > > These days, user documentation for me means good help text for
> > > argparse to use.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but all other software I use (on Unix)
> > has man pages. I /expect/ there to be one. (It's not hard to write a
> > man page either, if you have a decent one as a template.)
>
> The nice thing about help text is that it keeps the documentation and
> the code in one place, which makes it a little more likely people will
> actually update the docs as they update the code.

Yes, that's nice for the programmer. But isn't the point of the man page
to be nice for the users? The man pages document many more things than
help text output from the program.

--
 \      “Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest do not |
  `\     happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these |