IMAP4_SSL, libgmail, GMail and corporate firewall/proxy

Alexander Gattin xrgtn at yandex.ru
Fri Feb 18 16:59:44 EST 2011

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:40:19AM +0500, Andrea
Gavana wrote:
> Fails with a variety of errors depending on which port I use:
>
> - Port 80: urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 407: Proxy Authentication
> Required ( The ISA Server requires authorization to fulfill the
> request. Access to the Web Proxy filter is denied.  )

Wow, that's much better! So your python proxy is
working but just doesn't know how to authenticate.
Unfortunately I don't remember how to specify
proxy auth in python, but this is definitely
achievable.

Please 1st make ports 80 and 443 working, then you
can try IMAP and other ports.

In general, you're out of luck if your corporate
proxy only supports connecting to ports 80 and 443
in outside world.

But if you own a box in the wild, you can setup
ssh/openvpn/socks server/whatever on port 443 on
that box and use it as a kind of access broker to
the rest of ports in the world.

--
With best regards,
xrgtn