Best way to gain root privileges

GSO gsowww at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 19:00:16 EST 2011

OK, thanks for the tips.

gksu* does not seem to be included with RHEL6 Desktop (though there is
a package called beesu), and besides which it appears gksu is
deprecated[1].  Either way c wrapper or sudo approach it is a tactical
decision, and the former is probably a better option with the problem
I have (though I will at the end of the day probably use both).  I
googled c wrapper and there are a ton of issues, type of c system call
to use, closing/reopening file handles, etc.  Whole books have been
written on the subject.  The philosophy at the end of the day I think
is do your own thing so a hacker cannot download the code you used.
[1] http://live.gnome.org/gksu

Having said that I'm possibly arriving at the conclusion that a quick
perl script might be the simplest/easiest and most secure option - I
read perl includes code to safely run suid perl scripts - will dig out
my perl tomes.

G.