Extending classes __init__behavior for newbies

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 14:15:59 EST 2011

On Feb 14, 11:55 am, Michael Sparks <spark... at gmail.com> wrote:
> It can be broken if someone tries to use the class as is - that is
> treating the class as a model - to drive a display of the ship. If
> it was written using super() then that wouldn't be a problem.
>
> For example, I could write a display mixin that I'd like to use like
> this:

[snip: miles of code not formatted for 79 chars!]

That was a nice long winded example of how to break code by using it
in an improper manner. You could have just called the base with one
too many arguments and achieved the same. However the developer would
be suffering from either; severe memory loss and/or lack of reading
comprehension if he tried to use -a- his class interface in a manner
that it was not originally intended. I could likewise use a hammer to
drive screws and then rant and rave later how the hammer is
insufficient. Surely my methods could not be a fault, surely? ;-)