encoding

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 13:00:33 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All
> > I'm a bit new to py coding and need to setup some code to encode/decode
> base
> > 128.
> > Anyone here have some info they can point me to do get this done? I've
> been
> > looking around on the web for a few days and can't seem to lay my hands
> on
> > anything definitive.
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> First, why do you want to do this?  I ask because there is probably a
> better way to achieve what you want.  I'm not aware of a standard for
> "base 128", and it does not sound to me like something that would be
> very useful.
>
> Base 64 is commonly used as an encoding system because it fits inside
> the 94 printable characters of ASCII and is easily implemented.  It is
> also provided by the Python standard library.  Why not use this
> instead?
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

Ian
Thanks for the reply. The fact is that I don't _want_ to, but need to as a
part of a work project. If I had a choice, base 64 would be the way to go
since (as you point out), it's already in the standard library. If I could
take the encoded form and translate it to base 64 and then use the standard
library, that would work as well, but I'm not sure that there's a one-to-one
correlation there.

- Jack