EPD 7.0 released

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:30:00 EST 2011

On 2/14/11 5:59 AM, sturlamolden wrote:
> On 14 Feb, 01:50, Robert Kern<robert.k... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
>> employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
>> numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
>> more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
>> subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.
>
> But you do host the website, and several key NumPy and SciPy
> developers work for you. And NumPy and SciPy would not have reached
> the current maturity without Enthought. I know that you have
> commercial insterests in the current restructuring of NumPy (such as
> making it available for .NET), but it does help the development of
> NumPy as well.

I just don't want people to get the impression that we are distributing the
proceeds from EPD sales to numpy developers in general or that purchasing EPD is
equivalent to donating to the numpy and scipy projects. If people want to do
that, there are plenty of grad student developers who would be happy to take
your money to work on numpy and scipy for a day or two. That's a more efficient
use of your money. :-)

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."