files,folders,paths

ecu_jon hayesjdno3 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 05:10:33 EST 2011

On Feb 14, 4:43 am, Dave Angel <da... at ieee.org> wrote:
> On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, ecu_jon wrote:
>

> > this is a reply to both Dave Angel and Ben Finney. this version of
> > testing i think incorperates what you guys are saying.
> > testing1.py">testin1.py</a>
> > except maybe the os.join.path in the last function.
> > here is the traceback
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >    File "I:\college\spring11\capstone-project\testing.py", line 88, in
> > <module>
> >      backupall()
> >    File "I:\college\spring11\capstone-project\testing.py", line 84, in
> > backupall
> >      shutil.copy2(filesource, filedest1)
> >    File "C:\Python27\lib\shutil.py", line 127, in copy2
> >      copyfile(src, dst)
> >    File "C:\Python27\lib\shutil.py", line 82, in copyfile
> >      with open(dst, 'wb') as fdst:
> > IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '//Mothera/week2\\jonI:\
> > \college\\spring11\\capstone-project\\changelog.txt'
>
> > it looks like it needs os.walk and the other for line to dig through
> > the folders.
> > this being the whole path
> > I:\\college\\spring11\\capstone-project\\changelog.txt of source.
>
> Simplify the code.
>
> def weekChoice()
>      return 1 + (datetime.now().day -1) // 7   #weeks go from 1 to 5
>
> def backupall():
>      source = source1()
>      destination = destination2()
>      print "copy tree ", source, destination
>      if os.path.exists(destination):
>          if os.path.isdir(destination):
>              shutil.rmtree(destination)
>         else:
>              os.unlink(destination)
>      shutil.copytree(source, destination)
>      return
>
> All that nonsense with curdir was messing up your thinking.
>
> I'm not going to try to debug your destination2() function, but I would
> point out that when you use os.path.join(), please let it do the work
> for you.  It takes any number of arguments, and those arguments should
> not have extra slashes or backslashes in them.  The leading slashes are
> okay for the first node, if you want a unc.
>
> It would have been much easier if you had made source and destination
> arguments to the backupall() function.  It then might have become clear
> that it's simply copytree(), with the extra requirement of deleting
> whatever used to be there.
>
> Now if you aren't allowed to delete what was already there, then you
> can't use copytree, and need to start over with os.walk().
>
> DaveA

i thought i had it. i think im going to sleep on it.
here is what im working with right now. jsut trying to make folders
stuff work.
def backupall():
    week = weekChoice()
    weekstr = "week"+str(week)
    source = source1() #was backupdir
    destination = destination1() #was remotedir
    #destinationweek = os.path.join(destination, weekstr)
    for (path, dirs, files) in os.walk(source):
        for fname in dirs:
            os.chdir(path)
            leftover = os.getcwd().replace(source, '')
            #print "leftover is:",leftover
            currentdir = destination+leftover
            if not os.path.isdir(currentdir):
                print "leftover is:",leftover
                print "currentdir1:",currentdir
                print "i should copy teh
folderz",os.path.join(currentdir,fname)
                os.mkdir(os.path.join(currentdir,fname),0755)

it is not making the top level folder, then tries to create deeper
folders and fails.
part of the traceback.
os.mkdir(os.path.join(currentdir,fname),0755)
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'C:\
\Users\\jon\\backup2\\week2\\configs\\squid_files'