Algorithm for generating pitch-class sets in prime form

John O'Hagan research at johnohagan.com
Thu Feb 10 04:12:02 EST 2011

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Charles Turner wrote:
> Hi-
>
> Do you knowof Christopher Ariza's AthenaCL?
>
> <http://www.flexatone.net/athenaInfo.html#athenaFeatAnalytic>
>
> HTH, Charles

Wow. That looks like a much more complete and elaborate version of what I'm
doing, although from what I can tell I don't think it's real-time. I'll
certainly be having a good poke around in the code. Thanks.

Mind you, rather than using an algorithm like the one one I was looking for in
the OP, AthenaCL uses a dictionary to hold the 12-based prime forms. I want to
use arbitrary base-numbers ("temperaments" if applied to pitch), so I'd like
to be able to generate the prime forms on the fly.

Regards,

John