Reassign or discard Popen().stdout from a server process

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Wed Feb 9 00:24:48 EST 2011

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 15:48:55 +0000, John O'Hagan wrote:

> But I'm still a little curious as to why even unsuccessfully attempting to
> reassign stdout seems to stop the pipe buffer from filling up.

It doesn't. If the server continues to run, then it's ignoring/handling
both SIGPIPE and the EPIPE error. Either that, or another process has the
read end of the pipe open (so no SIGPIPE/EPIPE), and the server is using
non-blocking I/O or select() so that it doesn't block writing its
diagnostic messages.