How to Write grep in Emacs Lisp (tutorial)

Icarus Sparry i.sparry+un at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 19:02:17 EST 2011

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 14:30:53 -0800, Xah Lee wrote:

> On Feb 8, 9:32 am, Icarus Sparry <i.sparry... at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> The 'modern' way to do this is
>> find . -maxdepth 2 -name '*.html' -exec grep whatever {} +
>>
>> The key thing which makes this 'modern' is the '+' at the end of the
>> command, rather than '\;'. This causes find to execute the grep once
>> per group of files, rather than once per file.
>
> Nice. When was the + introduced?

Years ago! The posix spec for find lists it in the page which has a
copyright of 2001-2004.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/find.html

Using google, I have come up with this reference from 2001

https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_mail.tpl?
CALLER=show_archive.tpl&source=L&listname=austin-group-l&id=3067

in which David Korn reports writing the code in 1987.