os.path.join doubt

Westley Martínez anikom15 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 18:33:34 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 23:11 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 07:58:55 -0800, Ethan Furman wrote:
>
> > Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> >> BTW, Windows accepts / as well as \ as a path separator. You will have
> >> far fewer headaches if you use that.
> >
> > Just because Windows accepts / doesn't make it a good idea...
>
> No. Windows accepting slashes as the alternate path separator *enables*
> you to use slash. What makes it a good idea is that you don't have to
> worry about forgetting to escape backslashes:

> C:      emp
>            ile.txt
>

> Nor do you have to care about the fact that raw strings are designed for
> regular expressions, not Windows path names, and you can't have a raw
> string ending in a single backslash:

>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     location = r'C:\temp\'
>                          ^
> SyntaxError: EOL while scanning string literal
>

> The fact is that Windows' use of backslash as the path separator
> conflicts with Python's use of backslashes. Since our code is written in
> Python, trying to uses backslashes causes problems. One work-around is to
> take advantage of the fact that Windows has an alternate separator
> character, and use that. If you'd rather use raw strings, and special-
> case backslashes at the end of paths, go right ahead.
>
> > --> from glob import glob
> > --> print '\n'.join(glob('c:/temp/*')) c:/temp\0C2O0007.TMP
> > c:/temp\27421
> > c:/temp\3K540007.TMP
> [...]
>

> Yes. Is there a problem? All those paths should be usable from Windows.
> If you find it ugly to see paths with a mix of backslashes and forward
> slashes, call os.path.normpath, or just do a simple string replace:
>
> path = path.replace('/', '\\')
>
> before displaying them to the user. Likewise if you have to pass the
> paths to some application that doesn't understand slashes.
>

> --
> Steven

Paths that mix /s and \s are NOT valid on Windows. In one of the
setup.py scripts I wrote I had to write a function to collect the paths
of data files for installation. On Windows it didn't work and it was
driving me crazy. It wasn't until I realized os.path.join was joining
the paths with \\ instead of / that I was able to fix it.

def find_package_data(path):
    """Recursively collect EVERY file in path to a list."""
    oldcwd = os.getcwd()
    os.chdir(path)
    filelist = []
    for path, dirs, filenames in os.walk('.'):
        for name in filenames:
            filename = ((os.path.join(path, name)).replace('\\', '/'))
            filelist.append(filename.replace('./', 'data/'))
    os.chdir(oldcwd)
    return filelist