DRY and static attribute for multiple classes.

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu Feb 3 04:24:46 EST 2011

Marc Aymerich wrote:

> On Feb 2, 12:11 am, Peter Otten <__pete... at web.de> wrote:
>> Marc Aymerich wrote:

> Hi!,
> Unfortunately per_class attribute losses the "independence" when I try
> to mix it with django models.Model .
>
> from django.db import models
> class Plugin(models.base.ModelBase):
>     class __metaclass__(type):
>         def __init__(self, *args):
>             type.__init__(self, *args)
>             self.per_class = []
>
> class BaseService(models.Model):
>     class Meta:
>         abstract = True
>
>     __metaclass__ = Plugin
>
> class VirtualHost(BaseService):
>     name = models.CharField(max_length=10)
>
> class SystemUser(BaseService):
>     name = models.CharField(max_length=10)

> True
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I'm surprised that you are seeing the per_class-attribute at all as you are
defining it in the metaclass of the metaclass, as far as I can tell.
I think the following should work:

from django.db import models

class Plugin(models.base.ModelBase):
    def __init__(self, *args):
        super(Plugin, self).__init__(*args)
        self.per_class = []

class BaseService(models.Model):
    class Meta:
        abstract = True

    __metaclass__ = Plugin

class VirtualHost(BaseService):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=10)

class SystemUser(BaseService):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=10)

assert VirtualHost.per_class is not SystemUser.per_class

But I have never worked with Django, and the approach based on dictionary
lookup is less likely to interfere with the dark corners of the framework.

Peter