Use the Source Luke

OKB (not okblacke) brenNOSPAMbarn at NObrenSPAMbarn.net
Tue Feb 1 14:32:16 EST 2011

Tim Wintle wrote:

> However I think the biggest changes that have probably happened
> with python itself are:
>
>  (1) More users for whom this is their first language.
>  (2) CS courses / training not teaching C (or pointer-based
>  languages).
>
> (2) is especially important IMO - under half of the python
> developers I have regularly worked with would feel comfortable
> reading C - so for the other half reading C source code probably
> isn't going to help them understand exactly what's going on
> (although in the long run it might help them a lot)

    	I'd just like to note that (2) applies to me in spades.  I'm not
sure how many other people are in my position, but I use Python because
I like how it works, and I do not want to use C because I find it
insufferable.  I quite frequently look at the source of Python modules,
although more often third-party modules than the standard lib, but if I
have to look at the C source of something I basically stop and find
another solution (possibly abandoning Python altogether for that usage).

    	I think, in general, the less anyone needs to know C even exists,
the better for Python; likewise, the more that people have to mention
the existence of C in a Python context, the worse for Python.  This may
be a somewhat extreme viewpoint, but that's my position.

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell