IDLE: A cornicopia of mediocrity and obfuscation.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 1 14:15:27 EST 2011

On 2/1/2011 11:18 AM, rantingrick wrote:

> Well the best attribute of IDLE is backward compatibility -- there is
> none to worry about. IDLE is not a module with an interface, it's just
> a tool. So we could change anything we want without worry of causing
> code breakage. There is not good reason NOT to fix IDLE.

That is similar to my view. Of course, there will be an tracker issue
and list discussion for any major change. I have even thought it should
perhaps be moved to the Tools/ directory, but installation of that is
optional. Google codesearch can be used to see what, if anything, anyone
imports from idlelib.

> Agreed. Terry (or anyone) can you give some link to info on "hg" so i
> can study up on this topic? Thanks

Joel Spolsky's tutorial is highly regarded as an easier intro than the
reference manual. I am about to reread it myself.
http://hginit.com/

--
Terry Jan Reedy