Python C Extensions

aken8062 at yahoo.com aken8062 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 11:01:40 EST 2011

Hi,

I have a memory leak problem with my "C" extension module. My C module
returns large dictionaries to python, and the dictionaries never get
deleted, so the memory for my program keeps growing.

I do not know how to delete the dictionary object after it becomes
irrelevant. I do not know if the version of python is relevant, I'm
using the 2.5 !

Here is the "C" code:

PyObject *GetDictionary(PyObject *self, PyObject *args)
{
  PyObject *dict = PyDict_New();
  PyObject *key;
  PyObject *value;

  char name[128];

  for(int i = 0; i < 60; i++)
    {
      sprintf(name,"v%d",i);
      float number = 1.0 * 0.5*i;

PyDict_SetItem(dict,Py_BuildValue("s",name),Py_BuildValue("f",number));
    }
  return dict;
}

And here is the Code that I use in a loop, which causes the program
memory to grow:
import libpyTestModule as pyTEST

bankTEST = {}
for j in range(1,100000):